Kristy Menesses was upset when she discovered that her neighbor's home had tested positive for the deadly brain-eating amoeba, and she wasn't notified. She said since the crisis began, she's been washing her son A. Photo by Ted Jackson, Nola.
Share this article
School officials in an area near New Orleans have shut off water fountains and stocked up on hand sanitizer this week after a brain-eating amoeba killed a 4-year-old boy and was found thriving in the local tap water system. Bernard Parish system with chlorine to try to kill off the parasite and get the water back up to a safe standard. And while health experts say the water is perfectly safe to drink, some school officials are taking no chances. Raoult Ratard, the Louisiana state epidemiologist, says the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina in August may ultimately be to blame. Low-lying St. Bernard Parish -- where the boy Drake Smith Jr. That, says Ratard, provided a perfect opportunity for the amoeba to multiply. Without enough chlorine to kill them, they can spread.
Breaking News Emails
By Damien Gayle and Lizzie Parry. Tragic: Drake Smith Jr, four, who died after he was nfected by the Naegleria fowleri microbe while playing on a waterslide at a home in Louisiana. A rare brain-eating amoeba that killed a four-year-old in Louisiana has been found in the water system at five locations in the state, health experts have warned. The state Department of Health and Hospitals confirmed the presence of the microbe in five places in one of 14 water systems in the DeSoto Parish area of Louisiana today. Tissue tests by the CDC later revealed he died from a form of encephalitis after the amoeba entered his body through his nose and attacked his brain. State health officials said there are no known current cases of illness linked to the discovery in DeSoto or anywhere else in Louisiana. Those in charge of Waterworks District No. Health officials chose the DeSoto Parish water system for additional testing because the area was the site of one of two Naegleria fowleri-related deaths in Louisiana. Nearby St Bernard Parish's water system tested positive for the deadly bug in September, following the death of Drake Smith Jr, prompting more extensive testing of the water system. A DHH spokesman said people have historically become infected with the bug after swimming or diving in warm freshwater lakes and rivers.
Photo added by TheRealDubber Drake Smith, Jr. Encephalitis is a infection may be bacterial or viral. In some cases encephalitis, may be the result of an immune system disorder. Thank you for fulfilling this photo request. An email has been sent to the person who requested the photo informing them that you have fulfilled their request. Drag images here or select from your computer for Drake Smith Jr. Please note: You are asking volunteers to find and take a photo of the headstone. Please enter location or other information that may help the volunteer in fulfilling this request.